If you reside in a region that receives rainfall and snowfall, you need proper drainage to keep basement floods and other such problems at bay. Property owners waterproof their foundation walls, install drains, and maintain their gutter systems to ensure that all the excess water isn’t damaging their house. However, there’s one solution that can keep water away from your property and that’s land grading.
At Mike Langley Excavation, we always recommend grading the land to address drainage problems. We have handled a significant number of such projects in Bloomington and surrounding counties and our clients are very happy with the precise grading work we have handled for them.
What is Grading?Water doesn’t flow upstream. When the rain falls or snow melts, the water will flow down the slope under the influence of gravity and grading capitalizes on that. When we do grading, we strategically add gentle, almost unnoticeable slopes to your property. The slopes aren’t steep enough to cause erosion but they will guide the water away from your property.
Graded land will direct excess water towards strategically placed drains and gutters. This ensures the water doesn’t reach the curb or the road by your property. This is one of the best ways to keep water away from the foundation of your home and avoid basement floods.
What’s Involved in the Grading Process?Landscape grading should be well-planned and well-executed. If it’s not done well, you’ll have to deal with excessive erosion, wet spots on the ground, and water that’s draining in the wrong direction. Sometimes, your neighbors are forced to bear the consequences of your poorly-graded property. We want to avoid these problems at all costs and plan the grading project well.
- We will first survey the land and understand the topography. We carefully measure the area and check the natural slope of the land to understand what we’re working with.
- After we’ve mapped the land, we will design a plan to grade it. We will also take the surrounding areas into consideration. We don’t direct the flow of water to the neighbor’s backyard.
- Once we have a solid plan in place, we will remove the topsoil and store it in another place. After we’re done grading, we use the same topsoil to cover the ground once again.
- We will excavate and shape the land meticulously, following our plan and double-check everything.
- Once we’re sure that the land is graded properly and the drainage is efficient, we will place the topsoil back in place.
If you have any questions about grading land or our other services, feel free to contact us at Mike Langley Excavating. Our number is 812-332-8068. We’ll be happy to help you in any way we can.
Click on the images below to view a larger display.
We Provide Services to the Following Cities and Towns in IN: